A floating slab is a concrete slab that rests over the ground surface without any anchoring.
As the name suggests, it resembles a plate that is simply laid over the water, without any connection between them.
Uses of Floating Slab:
The primary uses of floating slabs are as a base foundation for industrial workshops, sheds, and garages.
It is very cost-effective in the areas where the requirement for need foundation is not required.
Advantages of Floating Slab:
- The floating slab distributed the vertical stress over a large area.
- If there is any probability of shifting the earth layer because of high moisture content, the floating slab is best.
- It does not cause any disturbance to the earth layer.
- It does not need footer trenches.
- It works as a barrier between superstructure and soil, hence any moisture coming from the ground is prevented by the floating slab.
- It is more economical compare to the conventional footing.